**Revised and edited 2/28/2021
Look familiar? Is this you after driving on HWY 280 at rush hour or getting ready for another holiday event? How do you feel about having to wait in yet another line? Well, I think we all can relate to that frazzled kind of feeling during this time of year.
Before I became a coach, I would experience a lot of those same feelings – frustration, anger, impatience, more frustration, and disappointment… What would make me nuts was how out of control and victimized by circumstances I felt! Do you know what I mean?
I felt like I was trying to paddle out past the break only to get pounded time and time again. For those of you who are not familiar with this surfing analogy, it’s the feeling you get when you are trying to drive comfortably, and every time you change lanes or you are driving and minding your own business, a car cuts in front of you and slows down! And when you do finally see an end to your frustration, someone else cuts in front of you at the exit!! Argh!!! Crazy drivers! They drive me bat bleep!
Sorry about that. I was just hijacked. This is not a post about crazy drivers.
The good news is that we don’t have to live like that anymore!! There is a better way and it is not as hard as you may think. Just a few changes and modifications and that out-of-control frazzled feeling can be replaced with clarity, focus and the fortitude to not let anyone or any circumstance pull you off track.
To keep calm and productive during the holidays, you need to be intentional about your breaks and your focus – Christine Jeffrey
When I became a high performance coach, I learned some great tactics and strategies that kept me on track and calm even when I was being “pounded” by traffic, long lines, projects and obligations! Below are my top 5 ways to not only survive the holidays, but to thrive!
5 WAYS to Keep Your Sanity and Stay Productive
- Schedule and take a 29 second nature break 3x a day. When you are consistent about taking the time to recharge, you get more energy, more done, and have a clearer head when things start to get really busy. Give this gift to yourself. I shot a video at Muir Woods that helped me put the calm back into my day. Use it and watch your heart rate slow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pQGmt_YKG0
- Delete or delegate non-essential tasks. I know this one can be tough for some of us, but in asking, you give the other person the gift of contribution. Do you know what I mean? They get to feel good about giving help to someone in need AND they get to feel competent and part of a team. Take a look at your list and ask, “What can I get rid of or delegate to someone else?” Then do it!
- Make the time to plan your week, in detail, ahead of time and allow extra time to complete tasks. Doing this will cause you to see opportunities of free time that you might have missed. Taking a few extra minutes on a Sunday night can save you HOURS during the week. Here’s my calendar to inspire you to create yours or if you like mine, use it.
- Recognize the progress you’ve made by creating daily reminders. Do you need a progress chart like this one? Do you like to write it down in your journal? However you like to remind yourself of progress, do it! When we recognize progress, we feel empowered, motivated, and, well, happier. When you and I feel this way, we have more energy and vitality to handle stressful times better.
- Schedule buddy time. We are social creatures. Do you have a buddy to share the wins, losses, and the parts in between with? When you connect intentionally like this, your life can feel richer and more abundant, and when you feel that, you have more energy and vitality to handle any excess stress that might show up.
Try these tips and see if they don’t help you to keep your composure and cause you to enjoy this beautiful time of year in a calmer and more productive way. When I figured out that I could be proactive instead of reactive, my stress level went down, my productivity went up, and enjoyed the holidays more! I want that experience for you!
If you enjoyed this article and want more, subscribe to my email list and each week you will receive my latest blog post with free tips, tools, and strategies that get you more clarity, help you develop more courage, and inspire you to step out in your life in a bolder way.
You can click here to Learn more about High Performance Coaching.
My coaching gifts are designed to bring out your best self whether you are going for the gold or trying to have that difficult conversation.
What I know to be true is that when you stack the odds in your favor, life gets easier. When you have an advocate in your corner who supports you, guides you, understands you, challenges you and inspires you to show up as your best self, you feel empowered to do more and be more on a consistent basis.
And when that happens, life is good!
Go here to learn more https://mailchi.mp/9a165e68ef3f/holidayoffer
Thanks for reading, and until next time,
Make most of the time you have!
With love and appreciation,