Spring is almost here. Our lists of to do’s tend to revolve around quarterly performance reviews, registrations for next year, spring break, finals, graduations, vacation plans, TAXES, and well, awesome weather. That is not a comprehensive list – but you get the picture.
And there lies the challenge.
When the weather isn’t all that great, it is easier for you and I to get our heads around what we HAVE to do – right? But when the weather is gorgeous and the birds are chirping, the last thing you and I want to to do is work. What we want to do is play. I know I do!
This past week, I researched energy transfer, because I had discovered a cool life hack when I bought some tickets for an upcoming event. The energy I got from buying those tickets actually made it easier for me to refocus on the tasks I had yet to complete AND I completed them in record time.
What was going on here?
When I refer to energy I am talking about two kinds:
- Activation – The energy you need to initiate an action whether the action is mental or physical.
- Execution – The energy you need to process that action.
Which type of energy do you need more of? To get started or to keep going?
If you answered, “to get started” then you’re right.
Now there are two ways to activate energy:
- Generate the necessary energy to act or
- Lower the energy requirement to act
BACK TO THE POINT
If you and I have been stacking priorities, the feelings that come with them, and maybe, dealing with a painful disappointment, we can generate a lot of stress for ourselves. I don’t know about you, but stress makes me feel tired, and when I am tired, that “to do list” looks huge, and well, overwhelming.
So … what happened when I bought those tickets?
Put simply, when I had something to look forward to, a.k.a., “I get to escape” it helped me to generate the energy I needed to activate that next task, and once there, momentum kept me going.
A chain reaction of productivity happens when you use the ” I get to escape” hack!A challenger said this
And with this new perspective, I did some digging and came up with four different ways for you to either lower the activation energy required for the task or generate it. Let’s work smarter and not harder!
Activate Your Energy with These Tips
- Plan for your escape in a smart way – This means take a specific amount of time to plan a trip, buy some tickets, set up date night, etc… and then take that energy and apply it to the next task you have scheduled.
- Make it easier to do the work– Examples of this would be chunking like tasks together or to have everything you need to complete the task in one place beforehand to make that task easier.
- Take Recess – Remember when someone asked you and me what our favorite subject in school was? The answer: “RECESS!” We can use the concept of “recess” to our advantage by taking 10 minute breaks at the end of each hour to rest our eyes, stretch our bodies and renew our energy.
- Un-stack Priorities – You and I can only act on one idea at a time. So, stop stacking everything you have to do. Set them in your calendar and forget them until it is time to deal with them. This allows you to conserve energy and have it ready for the next task without the added stress.
Use these tips to gain more productivity through a smarter use of energy principles.
If you think you might need some help powering up and activating your potential, check out my new course, Power Up Your Potential on Udemy. Click here to learn more https://mailchi.mp/1806cde6c205/powerupyourpotential
Thanks for reading and until next time, activate the energy required to live the kind of life that makes you feel excited, proud and fulfilled. I want that for you!